Saturday, July 11, 2009

Renaissance Fair In Büdingen

Last week friends of mine sent out an e-mail about an Renaissance Fair in Büdingen, which is about 60 km away from where I live. I joined up with another friend and drove there today.

The fair is held every other year in the old center of the town, which is considered one of the best kept medieval strongholds in Europe (I didn't know that before). It's spread out over a surprisingly large area, which made for a rather roomy event. Most of the fairs I've been to are usually rather crowded, but here you really could get around and see many different things all over the place.


There were a large number of people in medieval garb and it was very obvious that many people used it to meet up, and that they generously suffered the presence of all those modernly dressed people.

Of course, there were also knights.


I don't actually think there's a tournament, but that they just hacked at each other for the fun of it.


Misbehaving people where treaded befitting their crime.

...or, maybe they just did it for the fun.


And there was music all over the place

1 comment:

larph said...

i had no idea you lived around there. i did for a while myself and now i'm kicking myself that i never learned about this festival. it looks like you had a great time. thanks for sharing.